[postgis-users] PostGIS installation in Windows 32-bit

Arto Vuorela arto.k.vuorela at gmail.com
Wed Sep 28 02:47:33 PDT 2011

Hello

I aim to use postgresql-9.1.1-1-windows.exe and
postgis-pg90-binaries-1.5.3.zip (aiming to use with zigGIS, PgMap or ArcGIS
10.1, map service). Some basic questions for Windows Server 2003
installation:

1) PostGIS manuals say “A complete installation of PostgreSQL
(including *server
headers*) is required.” Were the server headers automatically installed? I
chose PgOleDB, pgJDBC and psqlODBC database drivers for PostgreSQL, if that
matters.

2) Should I worry also about this (from the manual as well)?:

For GEOS functionality, when you install PostgresSQL you may need to
*explicitly
link PostgreSQL against the standard **C++ library*:

LDFLAGS=-lstdc++ ./configure [YOUR OPTIONS HERE]

3) *PostGIS JDBC driver* I understand to be different from PostgreSQL JDBC
driver.
http://postgis.refractions.net/pipermail/postgis-devel/2006-November/002375.html
 says Versions 1.1.5 and 1.1.6 of the PostGIS-JDBC-Drivers are available at

http://lists.refractions.net/m2/org/postgis. Someone also mentioned in
discussions that he found *postgis-jdbc 1.3.5 on public Maven repositories.
*What is Maven or Pom I don't even know. Those all may be old - should
I use the non-debug jar version at JDBC SNAPSHOT on page
http://postgis.refractions.net/download/? Where should the
chosen version be installed, or how? By merely listing it in CLASSPATH
variable, as the PostgreSQL JDBC driver? The PostGIS's README.txt does not
tell such things.

4) As PostGIS is not found under Stack Builder yet for 9.1, I should put the
binaries in correct places. Are the postgis-pg90-binaries-1.5.3 contents put
in the installation folder (...\PostgreSQL\9.1\, so that most files go under
the three subfolders)? The README.txt does not tell this either.

5) Just wondering: to create a PostGIS enabled database, is the
makepostgisdb.bat usage a must? Last year at least it was possible to use
PostGIS template in PgAdmin III to create a new database.

Arto