[postgis-users] OSM post import questions

Imre Samu pella.samu at gmail.com
Mon Nov 23 13:40:10 PST 2015

Hi Tom,

> osm_id field contains non-unique values as well as negative values

This is normal.   Osm2pgsql optimised for rendering.
- The osm2pgsql program now  spliting long ways after around 1 degree or
100km

https://github.com/openstreetmap/osm2pgsql/search?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=Split+long+ways

- "--multi-geometry (-G) is necessary for most analysis as it prevents
MULTIPOLYGONs from being split into multiple POLYGONs ..."
https://github.com/openstreetmap/osm2pgsql/blob/master/docs/analysis.md

- negative values:   relations

https://help.openstreetmap.org/questions/2259/is-there-a-reason-why-osm2pgsql-produces-negative-osm_id-values

The easy solution for a primary key :    ALTER TABLE tablename ADD COLUMN
gid SERIAL UNIQUE;
(from https://github.com/openstreetmap/osm2pgsql/issues/446 )

Regards,
 Imre