[postgis-users] Help with SQL query?

Darrel Maddy darrel.maddy at newcastle.ac.uk
Fri Nov 27 09:41:53 PST 2015

Dear Regina,

Many thanks for this suggestion.

I ran the query in this form and for one raster it takes 3372s (~55 mins).  I guess that is what I had anticipated from the single tile  exercise I ran with the alternate algorithm.

This still seems a little too long however and so I have started to explore ways to improve upon this by pre-processing some of the data.  The cells of interest represent the ‘main channels’ in a drainage network.  Although in future this network may change position from one output timestep to another (they are actually 1000l iterations of the model apart) in this particular variant the position of these cells is static.  With that in mind I decided to create a binary raster where the 1’s represent the channel cells (I had to do this in arcgis as QGIS does not appear to have a Con function in the raster calculator!)  and then exported this as a point layer. I then deleted the points coded zero and saved the shp file in QGIS.  I imported the ntwork shp file into postgis (there are about 15500 15 points) and I am now running:

CREATE TABLE mymodel.networkdep AS
SELECT filename, gid, ST_Value(rast, geom) val
FROM mymodel.deposition, mymodel.network
WHERE ST_Intersects(rast, geom)
ORDER BY gid, rid;

I will sum by raster (i.e. filename) using the new table but will settle for just having the relevant data for now. This took  2057s(~35 minutes!) to complete!

If this is the best way to do it I will explore the OGR library and try and hardcode the network point output directly into the model or, more realistically, write a short routine to extract this automatically from the flow accumulation output rasters without recourse to a GIS.

I am learning a lot through this exercise, so thanks once again to all of you who have made suggestions, they are very much appreciated.

Best wishes

Darrel