[postgis-users] Error upgrading to PostGIS 2.4.3

Tom Kazimiers tom at voodoo-arts.net
Tue Mar 20 11:27:47 PDT 2018

Hi Ross,

On Tue, Mar 20, 2018 at 05:59:37PM +0000, McDonaldR wrote:
>Maybe you can point me in the right direction.  I'm running PostgreSQL
>9.6.8 (64bit) on Windows 2008 R2 with PostGIS 2.3.5 installed.  I have
>installed the 2.4.3 binaries and when I try to run ALTER EXTENSION
>postgis UPDATE TO "2.4.3"; I get the following error:
>
>ERROR could not load library PostgreSQL/9.6/lib/postgis-2.4.dll The
>specified procedure could not be found.

This is just a random guess, but one problem I encountered on all my
Postgres setups to upgrade from PostGIS 2.3 to 2.4 is the following:
There was a single function definition which isn't updated by the
PostGIS 2.4 SQL script to point the new binary:

  geog_brin_inclusion_add_value().

This prevented the update with a similar error message (I am on
GNU/Linux though). To check if this is the problem, you can check if
there are references to the old binary by using:

  SELECT * FROM pg_proc WHERE probin ~* 'postgis-2.3';

For me, this identified the afore mentioned function. To replace this
reference to a version in the new binary I had to do the following:

  CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION geog_brin_inclusion_add_value(internal, internal, internal, internal)
  RETURNS boolean
  AS '$libdir/postgis-2.4','geog_brin_inclusion_add_value'
  LANGUAGE 'c';

Just my 2 cents, your problem might be something completely different
though.

Cheers,
Tom