[PROJ] Easting-Northing vs Northing-Easting

Nick Mein nick_mein at trimble.com
Wed May 1 15:35:56 PDT 2024

Hi Javier,

By convention, geodetic coordinates are Latitude, Longitude (ϕ,λ). If you
project ϕ,λ onto a plane (in the most natural way), you get Northing,
Easting. Which then leads to the X = North, Y = East convention.

As an example of a SW coordinate system, consider South Africa. See
https://ngi.dalrrd.gov.za/index.php/resources?download=37:the-south-african-coordinate-reference-system
:

*5.1.2 Latitude at natural origin /reference Latitude:*

   - 5.1.2 The equator 0°E, is the latitude of reference or origin of the
      Gauss Conform Coordinate System.

*5.1.3 x (southings)*

   - Coordinates are measured southwards from the equator
      - Increases from the equator (where x = 0m) towards the south pole
      (with a maximum of ± 3 840 000m for continental South Africa).
      - Similar to the “northing” coordinates but sign in opposite.

*5.1.4 y (westings)*

   - Coordinates are measured from the Central Meridian (Lo) of the
      respective zone.
      - Increases from the CM (where y=0) in a westerly direction.
      - “y” is +ve west of the CM and –ve east of the Central Meridian.

Regards,
Nick.