[Qgis-developer] [Qgis-psc] PR1007 bump minimum to 4.7: objections?

Tim Sutton tim at linfiniti.com
Sat Nov 30 06:29:22 PST 2013

Hi

On Sat, Nov 30, 2013 at 11:31 AM, Richard Duivenvoorde
<rdmailings at duif.net>wrote:

> On 30-11-13 01:44, Nyall Dawson wrote:
> > Ok - so what's the final call here? Is someone willing to make a final
> > decision between bumping to 4.6 and keeping support for lucid or
> > bumping to 4.7 and dropping lucid? (Looks like 4.8 is out of the
> > question at the moment).
> >
> > If someone can make a call I'll update the pull request and make sure
> > all #ifdef's for versions < 4.6/4.7 are removed.
>
> Hi Nyall,
>
> if I am correct, I think the general view of devs is that a bump to 4.7
> only is not worth to pull without:
>
> 1) a cleanup of stuff that is not needed anymore because of the change
> 2) a (good) purpose on why to do it
>
> one of the devs told me: "why not a good PR with
> 1) the bump
> 2) the cleanup
> 3) the new stuff
>
> I think this whole discussion is because of different ideas about this
> kind of pull requests between different people.
>
> @psc maybe we should write down this kind of things in governance?
>
> @nyall is a PR like above doable for you?
>
> Regards,
>
> Richard Duivenvoorde

For me upgrading to 4.7 is a +0 - I still use QGIS on 12.04 systems and I
suspect that others do too. However 14.04 is just around the corner so it
wont be hard to wait an extra few months before running QGIS 2.2.

What about being more aggressive and actually porting to Qt5? Its been out
for a while now and should represent a stable target for us to develop
against.

Regards

Tim

--
Tim Sutton - QGIS Project Steering Committee Member
 * QGIS programming services
Skype: timlinux Irc: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net