[Qgis-developer] Future of standalone browser?

Caio Hamamura caiohamamura at gmail.com
Thu Feb 23 06:58:24 PST 2017

Currently I work in an organization which is very much concerned about the
quality and the structure of the file database with lots of shapefiles,
file geodatabases (ESRI), rasters. Some examples: roads, rivers, country
limits, states limits, county limits, region limits, custom regions limits,
farms limits, ...

So, nowadays we keep an ESRI Licence just to use ArcCatalog (which is what
I expected QGIS Browser to be) just to rename, preview, move stuff around
for organizing stuff around. Since there is a lot of metadata (shx, vat,
xml, ...), ArcCatalog simplifies these processes.

If QGIS Browser did support to do that kind of stuff for organizing data me
and my colleagues would be willing to migrate from ESRI ArcCatalog to QGIS
Browser. Since we are a non profit organization, it would be nice to get
off that extra load in our budgets and to use that resources in our
different projects.