[QGIS-Developer] [Qgis-developer] Adding default OSM backround maps

Richard Duivenvoorde rdmailings at duif.net
Tue Jun 20 22:59:17 PDT 2017

On 20-06-17 23:14, Stéphane Henriod wrote:
> Hi all
>
> in the last 3 weeks there hasn't been any contribution on this QEP or in
> the Google Doc. Should I assume that it hasn't raised lots attention
> because it is not seen as a priority feature? In this case, I guess we
> can remove the QEP (or change its status to "Postponed")
>
> Or is it just that everybody is overloaded with other tasks but still
> thinks this feature would be pretty damn cool? :-)

Hi,

just my 2 ct (and talking about myself: yep, busy too).

It is a LOT of work, both styling and running an open server hosting
world data in a custom style. You need also quite a lot
cpu/disk/connection resources for it to perform well.

So somebody needs to put time/resources in it, AND take responsibility
to keep it run smoothly...

So I would stick with OSM tiles for now (or some other local/open tile
servers), and maybe start yourself with the styling/hosting of a smaller
part of the world, share that map and see if that makes people eager to
see more :-)

Regards,

Richard Duivenvoorde