[QGIS-Developer] PROPOSAL: change how we manage the 3.0 release process

Tim Sutton tim at kartoza.com
Mon Nov 6 04:57:39 PST 2017

Hi

> On 06 Nov 2017, at 12:00, Matthias Kuhn <matthias at opengis.ch> wrote:
>
> Hi Tim,
>
> Thanks for raising this, I think it's very important to have everyone on board and especially have Jürgen as Release Manager agree on the plan.
>
> For what I think, the 3.0 release is a very special release since we have the unique possibility to work on the API and to some degree on workflows. Actually this is in my opinion not only a possibility but an obligation as we will severely disappoint plugin developers and users if we break things again in the near future.
>
> The calls for exemption that we have now are mostly backed up with the argument that right now is the right time to do certain things. This argument can not be repeated for future 3.x releases. I would therefore propose not to discuss the fixed release schedule in general, it has IMO worked out quite nicely. Instead I would like the PSC to discuss a flexible handling of this particular major release with the very specific requirements.

Thanks for your reply Matthias. Sorry I was unclear - 100% agreed that we should see the regular 4 month release cycle in place - I intended ‘release when it’s ready’ to apply only to QGIS 3.0. We basically go into a mode where we are in ‘soft freeze’ - where there should be agreement before merging PR’s and when we agree (e.g. by monthly vote) that all exceptions are done, we enter a formal freeze.

Regards

Tim

> Best regards
>
> Matthias
> On 11/06/2017 10:43 AM, Tim Sutton wrote:
>> Hi All
>>
>> We have our PSC meeting tonight and I have added an agenda item about feature freeze exceptions. I will respond immediately after the meeting with any decision that has been reached, or if we are not able to reach a consensus I will put it to a general members vote.
>>
>> As Jürgen is release manager, I would prefer that we have his agreement and buy-in (he has already stated a contrary opinion to lifting the freeze - http://osgeo-org.1560.x6.nabble.com/QGIS-Developer-Feature-freeze-Paid-developer-activities-for-QGIS-3-0-tp5340245p5340300.html <http://osgeo-org.1560.x6.nabble.com/QGIS-Developer-Feature-freeze-Paid-developer-activities-for-QGIS-3-0-tp5340245p5340300.html>).
>>
>> Probably more accurately I should state that Jürgen already agreed in Girona to go to a fixed release schedule in preference to a  ‘when it is ready’ schedule as was originally planned.
>>
>> At the risk of severely irritating Jürgen (sorry!), why don’t we move back to a ‘release when ready’ approach which might also have the happy by-product of being less work for him since he only needs to deal with the process once when the release is deemed ready.
>>
>> One simple mechanism we could do is have a rolling voting member’s vote (e.g. at then end of each month) with a simple question “shall we freeze”? Once we have quorum on that vote, we go ahead and freeze and Jürgen can pretty much ignore 3.x in his release planning until that vote passes. We also have the by-product that we cannot tell our users / customers / fans when the release will be ready but by-and-large I think the outcome will be better since we all will be dancing to the same tune and we can make sure 3.0 has everything in it that we think it should have without compromises.
>>
>> I also propose that the paid bug fixing should commence now already regardless of when the freeze will actually happen.
>>

>> Our PSC meeting is at 8pm CET (sorry thats an awful time for you Nyall) and anybody is always welcome to sit in the call if you wish you raise your concerns in person (or send me any notes for things that you would like raised on your behalf).
>>

>> Regards
>>
>> Tim
>>

>> <KartozaNewLogoThumbnail.jpg>
>>

>> Tim Sutton
>>
>> Co-founder: Kartoza
>> Project chair: QGIS.org <http://qgis.org/>
>>
>> Visit http://kartoza.com <http://kartoza.com/> to find out about open source:
>>
>> Desktop GIS programming services
>> Geospatial web development
>> GIS Training
>> Consulting Services
>>
>> Skype: timlinux
>> IRC: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net <http://freenode.net/>
>>
>> Kartoza is a merger between Linfiniti and Afrispatial

—

Tim Sutton

Co-founder: Kartoza
Project chair: QGIS.org