[QGIS-Developer] PROPOSAL: change how we manage the 3.0 release process

Tom Chadwin tom.chadwin at nnpa.org.uk
Mon Nov 6 06:22:12 PST 2017

Matthias Kuhn 🌍 wrote
> I think especially with the demand for stability you raise here it's
> important that we don't talk about "lifting feature freeze" but about
> what can we do to ship:
>
> a) everything we want from a code-perspective
> b) a high quality, stable release (on which we can and will also improve
> in subsequent patch releases)
> c) within a finite timeframe

d) with all API changes complete from 2.0 and no need for API breakage until
v4.

I'm really pleased Andreas has raised the bugfixing question so forcefully.
For me, API breakage and stability are the issues of much greater importance
over everything else. Non-API-breaking features can wait until 3.2. The more
features we introduce during soft feature-freeze, the less time *those*
features get during bugfixing.

Tom

-----
Buy Pie Spy: Adventures in British pastry 2010-11 on Amazon
--
Sent from: http://osgeo-org.1560.x6.nabble.com/QGIS-Developer-f4099106.html