[QGIS-Developer] discuss: What's our development gameplan for 3.0 and above?

Nyall Dawson nyall.dawson at gmail.com
Fri Nov 10 16:03:26 PST 2017

On 10 November 2017 at 09:43, Luigi Pirelli <luipir at gmail.com> wrote:
> super +1, I follow the same rule.
> We should add rule for that methods that require pyqt bindings... e.g.
> any API should use and return QT containers (just to simplify type
> mapping)

Agreed.

Also very remember to remember that in any case where the implicit
sharing is beneficial we should still return a Qt container
(preferably QVector, using only QList if the container has come from a
Qt method or needs to be consumed by a Qt method which uses QList).

The "TLDW" for interested parties:
- Qt containers (qlist, qvector, qmap, etc) are unmaintained, They
won't be removed by upstream, but you shouldn't use them if you have a
choice
- QList is absolute rubbish and should never be used, unless you're
forced to by Qt API. It's likely to be killed in Qt 6 (becoming just
an alias for QVector)

Nyall