[QGIS-Developer] Windows QGIS Installer builds

Richard Duivenvoorde rdmailings at duif.net
Thu Nov 16 03:54:49 PST 2017

Hi Devs,

I see (and personally get) more and more questions about individuals or
businesses who want to create their own QGIS windows installers.
Sometimes to do some branding, sometimes to create a 'suite' with some
plugins etc etc.

Myself I do not do this, but I see people struggling.

I often point them to the INSTALL.txt but looking into that I see:
"Consider this section as example.  It tends to outdate, when OSGeo4W
and SDKs move on"

I was wondering: should we help these people by maybe let an experienced
Windows developer write a build manual (or update the INSTALL.txt?
Or do we conclude: if you are not able to build a msi with the
information in the ms-windows dir and INSTALL.txt you just should not try?

Regards,

Richard Duivenvoorde

PS: Today I received such email again, and will ask this company if they
have budget to sponsor writing such docs...