[QGIS-Developer] all profile removed, still OWS connections, where stored?

Richard Duivenvoorde rdmailings at duif.net
Sun Nov 26 03:29:03 PST 2017

Yep, 'default QGIS3' profile:

When I removed:
~/.local/share/QGIS

I still kept (or migrated??) all kind of settings

Found also this one:
~/.local/share/qgis_help/profiles/default
not sure if this is an old help relict, but if not it should be moved to
default profiles

Then I removed
~/.qgis2
thinking that stuff was silently imported/migrated from there.

Still found stuff in QGIS3
And even (without .qgis2) QGIS 2.18 saw all recent projects (without
previews though)...

Which made me think: ah on Linux there is also:
~/.config/QGIS/QGIS2.conf
~/.config/QGIS/QGIS3.conf
which (apparently) are imported too?
(note: on Windows this is in registry)

Then I removed all those, and finally I had a clean sheat \o/

THEN my 'Open Active Profile Folder' was working again!
Ah, bummer, just one time. After that it breaks again :-(

Nor sure if this is 'our' migration stuff, or Qt is doing all this?
But in my opinion we should not 'automagically'  import all kind of
(corrupted/ing) settings into a fresh profile. I hoped to be able to
really get a fresh start when I removed the ~/.config/QGIS dir.

IF that folder is not available, we should ask the use I think if she
wants to migrate or not.

I also happened to bump onto:
Boundless' settings documentation:
https://connect.boundlessgeo.com/docs/desktop/1.1.0/system_admins/globalsettings.html
and an earlier plugin:
http://boundlessgeo.github.io/qgis-plugins-documentation/profiles/plugin.html

So there is already the notion of a 'global/corporate' style settings
file? Which you can (could?) point to by adding startup parameter:
--globalsettingsfile

Is it only me who still finds this all a little hidden/automagic?

Regards,

Richard