[QGIS-Developer] Qgis with ubuntgis dependancy broken

Patrick Dunford enzedrailmaps at gmail.com
Mon Nov 27 07:33:14 PST 2017

There is no mandated requirement to use the Ubuntugis repository for
2.18. The latest edition of 2.18 is available from the non-ubuntugis
Qgis repository for xenial.

Do you have that option available to you?

If you need the development edition (2.99) unfortunately the developers
are not supporting this on Xenial because of a package dependency that
is not supported by the Ubuntu repositories for Xenial, even though it
should in theory be possible to get the required package(s) from another
repository.

If you have used apt upgrade to update all the packages in your system
at once, including new ubuntugis packages, don't update all the packages
this way. Just update qgis by itself, and it won't pull the new
ubuntugis packages if it doesn't need them.

The more technically astute might try commenting out the ubuntugis
repository from apt's sources.list files or fragments before issuing the
apt update command, or playing with Apt pinning settings to prioritise
repositories.

Example: I installed Debian buster/testing and then attempted to install
Qgis 2.99 sid/unstable. This told me it needed a package from Debian
sid/unstable repositories. I changed the master repository for debian to
unstable and then apt update tells me there are hundreds of new packages
from unstable I could install. I only want it to install the packages
needed for qgis so instead of running apt upgrade, I just run apt
install qgis etc to only pull the unstable packages it actually needs
for this installation, and then change the Debian master repository back
to buster.

The above options may not suit every situation where ubuntugis has to be
used, obviously it does not suit your particular requirement if you have
to have the latest ubuntugis packages for other reasons, however it may
resolve the situation for someone else.