[QGIS-Developer] Feature freeze vs the growing PR queue...

Nyall Dawson nyall.dawson at gmail.com
Mon Oct 23 15:33:16 PDT 2017

Hi all,

Just wanted to raise discussion about what we should do regarding the
100+ open PRs currently sitting in the request queue, especially with
regards to the looming freeze.

I can see two options:

1. freeze = freeze, no exceptions. But then we run the risk of people
merging PRs and commits prematurely without full peer review just to
get them in for 3.0 (it becomes a rush of "quick merge in whatever
state because it's a cool feature!!). Or alternatively we may miss
open PRs which are important (crucial?) to have in place for 3.0 (e.g.
processing SAGA/GRASS providers, Nathan's settings migrations, etc).

2. Allow open PRs to be merged after freeze on a case-by-case basis,
up to a suitable cut-off date (when?).

(FULL DISCLAIMER: I fully acknowledge that my views are biased and I'm
invested here, since I've about to open a PR which ports much of the
remaining missing functionality from composer->layouts, but is not
(yet) 100% complete, and will likely not be by the feature freeze cut
off. It's SO SO close though, and I'd hate it to miss 3.0 and force us
to carry around 10ks of lines of outdated code just to keep api
compatibility with composer for the life of 3.x)

Nyall