[QGIS-Developer] Can we remove a confirmation dialog in Refactor Fields algorithm?

Germán Carrillo carrillo.german at gmail.com
Wed Apr 25 07:55:48 PDT 2018

Hi All,

In the Refactor Fields algorithm dialog there is an "Input layer" combo
box. Each time the user selects one layer a modal dialog (message box)
appears, letting her select whether the fields mapping should be reset or
not. See image: [1].

I'd like to ask you if we can get rid of such modal dialog for these
reasons:

1) In general, it's good to avoid modal dialogs as they block workflows and
hamper interaction.

2) Other algorithms don't use such dialog to warn users about potential
changes in other widgets (e.g., field combo boxes dependng on the selected
layer).

3) The dialog is only *useful* if the user clicks on the combo box by
accident and wants to avoid resetting the mapping (a very specific use
case). However, in that case the combo box shows that a new layer is
selected, but the mapping won't correspond to it, which is confusing.

4) Follow these steps:

  a. Open QGIS and load a vector layer.
  b. Open the Refactor Fields dialog and press ESC to close it.
  c. Add another vector layer to QGIS.
  d. Close the QGIS project.

As soon as you close the project (e.g., when you want to start a new one)
the modal  dialog shows up :(  (see this short video [2]).

5) The dialog is triggered too many times when using the "Fields Mapper"
widget in a custom Processing model (and triggering it from a plugin) (see
this short video [3]).

So, the question for you is: Can we get rid of it? I've created a PR for
that :D [4].

Regards,

Germán
-----------