[QGIS-Developer] QgsAuthConfigSelect use

Alessandro Pasotti apasotti at gmail.com
Thu Jun 7 02:51:09 PDT 2018

On Tue, Jun 5, 2018 at 2:46 PM, Richard Duivenvoorde <rdmailings at duif.net>
wrote:

> Hi Devs,
>
> I'm using the QgsAuthConfigSelect-widget, to create 'configs' (with url,
> id, username, password (basic auth)) etc.
>
> It works great!! I could even incorporate it in my dialog!

that's exactly what it was designed for :)

> Two comments, of which I like to have some input of others if possible:
>
> 1) (see screenshot) currently the 'type' is always added in the dropdown
> (in my case you always see (Basic)). If a user wants to see this, it is
> possible to add it themselves (see (mytype)).
> So Question: would there be troubles if I remove that?

I'm not sure I understand what you are asking: the ("Basic") string is the
authentication type (that comes to the authentication plugin that the
configuration is using)  and it is a useful piece of information, but of
course it is not required.

> 2) the first item is ALWAYS: 'No authentication'.
> In my case that does not make sense. If you did not create a 'profile',
> there is not an url, no nothing, so I would prefer to see either:
> - nothing (no item)
> - 'Please create an authorisation profile'
> - 'Please configure first'
> or something like that.

I think you should handle that in your particular dialog logic, the widget
does what it was designed for, that is allow the users to choose and
existing authentication configuration AND/OR to create a new one, editing
and deletion of existing configs is also available.

> Any comments?
>
> I'm aware that this is build for governmental use, so if this is cast in
> stone, then... we leave it like this?

Nothing is carved in stone, but still I would leave like it is now.

--
Alessandro Pasotti
w3:   www.itopen.it