[QGIS-Developer] On github, gitlab, and imperialist nations screwing us all over...

Marco Bernasocchi marco at opengis.ch
Wed Aug 7 02:28:51 PDT 2019

Hi

On 06.08.19 22:42, Tim Sutton wrote:
> Hi
>
>> On 2 Aug 2019, at 05:45, Paolo Cavallini <cavallini at faunalia.it
>> <mailto:cavallini at faunalia.it>> wrote:
>>
>> Hi all.
>> I'm often unhappy when I'm right.
>
> In which particular aspect are you right?
I guess about not being fan of moving to gh...

>> Although the practical impact this time is low, I would take this as
>> a clear signal (after the loomio move, and I expect more) that we
>> have to change our strategy,
>> keeping our infrastructure as simple as possible and avoiding
>> wherever possible to rely on proprietary, non free, stuff.
>
> Loomio is FOSS and we benefited from free hosting. We could have
> hosted it ourselves but we chose to not divert our minimal free time
> to managing more infrastructure.
which is something I think we should always strive to (to be clear not I
mean we should not manage even more infrastructure).
> I think it is normal in life that things change and we need to adapt
> as they do, really it isn’t a train smash IMHO.
> GitHub impact is more conceptual than actual as has been shown in this
> thread.
To empathize this even more, let's remember that it is _not_ github, it
is trade sanctions by the US, so it is more a question of where we host,
than bad bad github...
> So sure, lets have a plan B in place, that was always the long game
> plan for our code etc. But lets do take our time and do it right and
> in a considered way. We reached agreement in A Coruna to use GitHub
> for issue tracking and I don’t think it is constructive to turn around
> a few months later and try to roll back on what has been years of
> painful and protracted community negotiations and planning to get to
> where we are now.
and as usual, Tim I can't agree more with you.
>  IMHO moving to GitHub issues has been a great improvement for the
> project - and thanks again especially to Jorge and friends who did all
> the heavy lifting!

That is also the feeling I have and again thanks Jorge and all for the
great work

Cheers

Mar