[QGIS-Developer] Limitation of symbology?

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Tue Feb 12 01:47:58 PST 2019

Hi Paolo,

Not sure I can follow you what you want?

Why combine rule based renderer with heatmaps? What's the use case?

It is not true that you can only use simple markers with rule-based
symbology. All the symbol levels can be combined with the rule based
renderer (e.g. a simple fill, with a marker line on top of it and a
centroid on top of it and a geometry generator with some formula on top
of it.)

If you need a heatmap with different filters, you can have the same data
source used in several layers with different filters applied - if this
is what you want?

It wouldn't make sense to me to have several heatmaps (most likely
overlapping each other?) on the same layer with rule-based renderer.
That would quickly turn into something totall illegible.

For certain renderers (point displacement and point clusterer) you can
combine it with other renderers, because it makes sense in this context.

Greetings,

Andreas