[QGIS-Developer] Download the QGIS User Manual HTML Files

Matthias Kuhn matthias at opengis.ch
Mon Feb 18 08:50:33 PST 2019

Hi Richard

On 2/18/19 5:10 PM, Richard Duivenvoorde wrote:
> On 18/02/2019 16.24, Matthias Kuhn wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> In the QGIS options, there is a list of alternative help paths to search
>> for documentation.
>>
>> Is there a zip file (or other means) available to download these docs to
>> keep them locally? I failed to find something.
> Hi Matthias,
>
> Nope, nothing available. The idea is/was that we add an extra step in
> the build Makefile to just zip the language build and rsync it to the
> docs server, OR to another download server.
>
> One thing to note is that we (maybe Alexander Neto has better details)
> do not have separated builds/image directories for all the docs in the
> documentation tree (Documentation, PythonCookbook, Gentle Gis Intro, Doc
> Guidelines).
> I created a zip from this nights build for you:
> https://docs.qgis.org/testing/qgisdocs_en.zip  (183Mb)

Thanks a lot for that!

> I would be happy to split this up though.
> My idea was to let people choose to download one language (for the
> non-testing builds).
> I was hoping that we could leave it zipped on the file-system and be
> able to view in either in users browser OR in an embedded webkit widget
> or so.

How much data are we talking about, the 183Mb from the link above?

If it's not considerably more, I would say in order to minimize the
overhead we could just serve this monolithic file with all doc
parts/languages included in a first step and require the user to unzip
it himself.

Regards

Matthias