[QGIS-Developer] Request for a Github Webhook

Joshua admin at base.nz
Mon May 20 13:01:21 PDT 2019

Hi Richard,

I sent a reply direct to your email a couple of days ago but it may have
endned up in your spam folder. Sending it here again just in case.

/Here is what I sent along with the Discord webhook URL.../

I too believe in open source principles and have been helping my son
contribute to Minetest (LGPL). There is a strong presence of Minetest
contributers on Discord so I set up an account there. The devs did not
want to make Discord an official communication HUB of Minetest, though
they understood it's importance to the community and allowed a Github
feed to be sent to there. There is an active presence of like minded
folks on the Minetest Discord where users discuss modding of the game,
ask for help from other members and share their works.

I then looked for a QGIS Discord server but couldn't find one. I decided
to make one for other people who wanted the same thing. In just a couple
of days since launching the server we now have 28 members /(now 35)/.

Discord currently has 130 million registered users and is growing. Many
people would happily join a Discord QGIS server because they already use
Discord and log in everyday. And many of these people would not join
other QGIS communication sites because it would be another app they need
to use or another website they need to log into each day.

My vision for this server is to have it function much the same way it
does for Minetest. A place to hang out, ask questions, contribute and
showcase work. Having a Github feed would allow members to keep
appraised of the latest core development and perhaps inspire them to
contribute by making their own pull requests. I believe this Discord
server will have a net positive effect for QGIS.

Regards,

Joshua