[QGIS-Developer] Issues ID mapping (was: Post github issues migration clean ups - some proposals)

Sandro Santilli strk at kbt.io
Thu May 30 00:36:52 PDT 2019

I was thinking that after migration it would be useful to be able
to still follow a link from a commit log to its corresponding issue.

My understanding is that there's no 1:1 mapping between a Redmine
issue number and a GitHub issue number other than using a lookup
table (not included in QGIS source tree). Is that right ?

Is there any other way to tell which issue number refers to each
tracker ? Like... is there a "biggest issue number" that we could
use to distinguish between the two ?

The use case for this would be to set up a redirect from
issues.qgis.org so that whoever asks for a bigger issue number
is sent to github. This would also simplify mapping of issue refs
in commit logs from something like the Gitea mirror of QGIS, see
this page for example:

  https://git.osgeo.org/gitea/qgis/QGIS/commit/3f9a07e7

You can see the commit log references #30003 issue number.
Gitea was configured to transform that into a link to issues.qgis.org,
but such link is a "not found" page:

  https://issues.qgis.org/issues/30003

An older commit, like this (not too old):

  https://git.osgeo.org/gitea/qgis/QGIS/commit/f9810a453

Also references an issue number (#14885) but in this case
the link goes to an existing page:

  https://issues.qgis.org/issues/14885

The solution I'd see for this would be setting up a redirect
on issues.qgis.org to do the second hop to GitHub when needed,
is that possible to do at the moment ?

PS: needless to say, if/when in the future QGIS issues will move
    again we'll have NO CHANCE of setting up such redirects...

--strk;