[QGIS-Developer] Issues ID mapping (was: Post github issues migration clean ups - some proposals)

Sandro Santilli strk at kbt.io
Thu May 30 01:18:50 PDT 2019

On Thu, May 30, 2019 at 09:04:30AM +0100, Jorge Gustavo Rocha wrote:
> Hi Sandro,
>
> Às 08:36 de 30/05/19, Sandro Santilli escreveu:
> > I was thinking that after migration it would be useful to be able
> > to still follow a link from a commit log to its corresponding issue.
> > > My understanding is that there's no 1:1 mapping between a Redmine
> > issue number and a GitHub issue number other than using a lookup
> > table (not included in QGIS source tree). Is that right ?
> >

> The mapping table (m: red x gh) is available at:
> https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Enhancement-Proposals/issues/141#issuecomment-496006337
>
> I think we need that table and the commit date. Commits before 20190526
> should point to GitHub issue m(red); after 20190526 should point to
> GitHub issue gh.
>
> It that possible?

With free software everything is possible,
but needs to be implemented ...

At the moment Gitea web UI does NOT let you express such filters.
Apache filters would be more powerful but would not have access
to commit date.

Implementing this in Gitea has a cost. Would such cost be worth
the history-recover ? Again: remember this will be NOT POSSIBLE
in the future, when moving _out_ of github.

> > PS: needless to say, if/when in the future QGIS issues will move
> >     again we'll have NO CHANCE of setting up such redirects...
>
> I'm trying to find old Redmine issue references and replace then by the
> new ones, so everything points to the new ones. Commits messages are not
> easy to change, since the message itself is part of the commit.

Right, that'd be history-rewriting. History rewriting would always
be possible, although destructive. Problem would be being able
to review/approve such a big change.

--strk;