[QGIS-Developer] Copyright in a plugin?or idea?

Jonathan Moules jonathan-lists at lightpear.com
Mon Oct 7 08:11:21 PDT 2019

Ideas cannot be copyrighted and that's just fine - ideas are a dime a
dozen; everyone has them all the time. But few people ever implement them.

Which brings us to the crux of the issue - these were implemented so
ideally should not have been duplicated? And not once but twice for a
single author. This isn't something you want at the best of times, let
alone on a resource constrained project like QGIS.

I guess there may be many reasons, and I won't second guess the authors
here, but it seems that the first thing that should be done before any
new component/plugin is worked on is to see if there's already one out
there, and if there is, even if it's dated, try and contact the author.
Maybe it can be built on, maybe it's a flaky pile of junk, but it only
takes 10 minutes and may save days/weeks of duplicating work. Maybe it's
also worth asking on the dev list if anyone has done something to this
effect previously (I see such posts fairly often here already...).

(Full disclosure - I've recreated the wheel a few times for my own
projects accidentally).

Just my 2p,

Cheers,

Jonathan