[QGIS-Developer] QGIS projects - can they be licensed and/or copyrighted ?

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Wed Oct 30 04:58:05 PDT 2019

Hi Bo,

Please don't tell me that your students or you have the idea/impression
that the license of QGIS (as a software) propagates to the data you edit
with this software? This is a comlete nonsense and I don't know who
started with this rumor.

For some strange reasons I have heard this idea before and I wonder if
some trolls from proprietary software companies who dislike OpenSource
distribute this FUD? If this discussion were about elections I would say
that this idea originates from Putins troll factory.

If this would be the case, then Adobe or Microsoft would own copyright
to all documents their users edit.

The copyright of the QGIS project files or any data you edit with QGIS
is totally independent from the license itself and it is the sole
decision of the author of the data. Of course, if you get the data you
work with from someone else, their license terms apply as well.

Please help to get rid of this strange idea!

Andreas