[QGIS-Developer] QGIS projects - can they be licensed and/or copyrighted ?

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Wed Oct 30 04:59:26 PDT 2019

On mercredi 30 octobre 2019 12:31:45 CET Bo Victor Thomsen wrote:
> Hi list -
>
> During a university lecture about QGIS and licensing (GPL) I got a
> question about QGIS projects.
>
> Can a project be copyrighted or licensed differently from QGIS ? We are
> not talking about plugins - they are always under the same license af
> QGIS, namely GPL.
>
> But what about the QGIS projects ? Same license or copyrigt af QGIS
> itself. Or what ??

The GPL license mostly sets constraints about redistribution, not use. So
whatever your produce with QGIS, data, projects, styles, etc you can decide
freely what you do with it: public domain, open data, or whatever license you
see fit (*)

This is covered by the official GPL FAQ:
https://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.en.html#GPLOutput
https://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.en.html#WhatCaseIsOutputGPL

Even

(*) if your projects deals with other people data, then the constraints of
that data might have consequence on your project, but that doesn't come from
QGIS itself.

http://www.spatialys.com