[QGIS-Developer] QGIS projects - can they be licensed and/or copyrighted ?

Alessandro Pasotti apasotti at gmail.com
Wed Oct 30 06:48:20 PDT 2019

On Wed, Oct 30, 2019 at 2:36 PM Even Rouault <even.rouault at spatialys.com>
wrote:

> > > A very small nibble: What about python code embedded in the project ?
> >
> > That is a good question where I don't know the answer. It might be
> > subject to the GPL license - but not sure. I would be interested to hear
> > other people's opinion on this particular case.
>
> Huh, that becomes involved... In all logic, conveying code through a .py
> file
> or a .qgz doesn't change the fact that it is code, so I'd expect licensing
> rules to also apply to it. So if that Python code uses QGIS API, it is
> probably to be under the GPL (but that only affects those code snippets,
> not
> the rest of the project).

Right, but, by distributing a project .QGS I'm basically distributing the
sources, and that satisfies one of the most important obligations of the
GPL (even if it is zipped in a .QGZ, the sources are just one
click/shell-command away).

Even if I wanted to distribute my project with another license, I would be
still distributing the source code with it.

The same applies to python code snippets embedded in a project.

--
Alessandro Pasotti
w3:   www.itopen.it