[QGIS-Developer] Download speed osgeo4w

Matthias Kuhn matthias at opengis.ch
Sun Jan 12 03:11:38 PST 2020

Hi Jürgen

On 1/11/20 7:34 PM, Jürgen E. Fischer wrote:
> Hi Matthias,
>
> On Thu, 09. Jan 2020 at 17:36:57 +0100, Matthias Kuhn wrote:
>> I was trying to download some files from the osgeo4w repository, where I get
>> roughly 200 KB/s. From other places I easily get 5 MB/s through my current
>> connection.
>
>> I tested the following (randomly chosen) 150MB file:
>
>> http://download.osgeo.org/osgeo4w/x86_64/release/qgis/qgis-pdb/qgis-pdb-3.8.3-1.tar.bz2
> It's hosted in the US - so I'd think it's not the quickest for Europe.
>
> There are other mirrors listed in http://download.osgeo.org/osgeo4w/mirrors.lst
> and offered by the installer.

Ah. I always thought these would offer additional packages not
distributed via the main osgeo mirror.

If they are simple mirrors it would be good adding a redirector, that
automatically routes download requests to a fast mirror. But I must
admit that this is out of my comfort zone.

Another idea would be to use an existing CDN. KeyCDN apparently offers
free CDN accounts for open source projects. If there is interest I could
get in touch with them and ask https://www.keycdn.com/open-source-cdn .

Matthias