[QGIS-Developer] QGIS for Apple: Intel vs. arm

Peter Petrik peter.petrik at lutraconsulting.co.uk
Wed Jun 24 02:53:37 PDT 2020

Hi,

As building on iOS already works (
https://github.com/lutraconsulting/input-sdk/tree/master/ios), I imagine it
would be possible to  run another architecture build for MacOS with a
similar approach. It is in Apple's interest to facilitate transition to
developers. To evaluate how hard it would be, that is more tricky at this
point. First of all, Qt has to support this new architecture, I haven't
found a statement from them yet if they plan it and when. So even Qt
supports it (hopefully from Qt5 releases and not Qt6), we have to build all
the deps with the new architecture, which takes some time to create
recipes. And of course find a hardware where it all can be built (probably
another machine , yes). Not saying that it is very frustrating to do
development of such a new package if you do not own such hardware
yourself...

P.