[QGIS-Developer] QGIS / FreeCAD interoperability...

Joel Graff monograff76 at gmail.com
Fri May 8 20:25:44 PDT 2020

I've been a part of the FreeCAD project for the last three years or so,
focusing on developing Civil Engineering-related functions (specifically,
transportation engineering).  On occasion, discussions emerge regarding GIS
integration into FreeCAD, QGIS being the natural go-to.

Recently, the GIS thread on the FreeCAD forum pointed to a github issue on
the QGIS repo about FreeCAD integration.  It was closed in late April,
citing the developer's mailing list as the place to continue the discussion.

I cite the URL below as it contains links to relevant threads on the
FreeCAD forum:

https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/issues/21623

The issue was five years old and not much discussion has happened.
Admittedly, I think it's one of those "seems like a good idea, but what can
we really do with it?" kind of things.

I'm not really posting here to start a discussion on any particular topic
or advocate for any sort of development effort.  I'm merely bringing it to
the developer mailing list to give it the proper exposure.

That said, I should also mention that I and one other transportation
engineering professional are actively working on developing transportation
engineering tools for FreeCAD, specifically geomatic (survey) and highway
alignment design tools at the moment.

*Joel Graff, P.E.*

*LinkedIn:* https://www.linkedin.com/in/joelcgraff