[QGIS-Developer] phasing out OSGeo4W QGIS/GRASS 32bit

Helmut Kudrnovsky hellik at web.de
Fri May 15 04:37:29 PDT 2020

Hi,

in the GRASS community, we're thinking about to phase out winGRASS 32bit
versions in 2020, see [1].

in [2] Upgrade Qt version to latest 5.12.x LTR, I saw following comment:

------------
The current idea is to switch to 5.14 and use the occasion to upgrade
compilers and drop 32bit (according to the latest qgis survey only 7% of the
participants still use it).
------------

related:
https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/rip-microsoft-to-drop-support-for-windows-10-on-32-bit-systems/

"Microsoft to drop support for Windows 10 on 32-bit systems:

Microsoft has stated that future versions of Windows 10, starting with the
May 2020 Update, will no longer be available as 32-bit builds on new OEM
computers."

all in all a good moment to phase out OSGeo4W 32bit.... :-)

any schedule to drop 32bit QGIS on windows by the QGIS community/devs?

I think a joint announcement about dropping 32bit by both communities
(GRASS/QGIS) whould be good.

any ideas?

[1] https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/grass-psc/2020-January/002094.html
[2] https://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo4w/ticket/627