[QGIS-Developer] Extend the API to fix a bug for a patch release

Nyall Dawson nyall.dawson at gmail.com
Mon Oct 12 15:52:57 PDT 2020

On Tue, 13 Oct 2020 at 05:29, David Signer <david at opengis.ch> wrote:

> Hi there
>
> Last week there was a discussion regarding the issues with the offline editing plugin already.
> One of the main problems with the projects created by the offline editing functions are the layernames. They get the static suffix " (offline)". This leads to issues with expressions or widgets like e.g. the value relation.
>
> We thought about solving it by adding a parameter called suffix to the function. This suffix should be " (offline)" by default.
> But it gives Plugins like e.g. QFieldSync the possibility to pass an empty suffix, what will keep the layername unchanged and would fix the issues in the expressions and widgets. It would be completely backwards compatible and would not have any influence on other parts of the code.
>
> Would this Bugfix have a chance to be in the patch release 3.16.1?

This is perfectly acceptable -- feel free to open a PR for 3.16.0.
We've always allowed API revisions, refactoring, and code
optimisations during freeze.

(But it makes me think -- instead of the (offline) suffix used by
default, a nicer behaviour would be to instead leave the name
unchanged and show a new indicator icon representing "offline"
status!)

Nyall