[QGIS-Developer] Stale bot and older requests/issues - possible enhancement

Stefan Steiger Steiger at cor-management.ch
Thu Jan 7 04:55:22 PST 2021

>> As a user and employee of a French administration, I think what is proposed would be an excellent reminder. Open source is not free.

Wrong on so many levels.

First: GPL = Free Software
So since the license of QGIS is GPL, it’s free software.
“Free Software” means that along with the software, you get the source code for free, included in that is the freedom to change and redistribute it.
Free as in Freedom. That does not mean it’s gratis.

Second: “OpenSource” is not the same as 'Free Software'
“OpenSource” merely means you have the source.
It doesn’t mean you’re allowed to change or redistribute it.
It also doesn’t mean it’s gratis.
So “OpenSource” is much worse than GPL./ 'Free Software'.

Third misconception:
Free (as in freedom) doesn’t mean it’s gratis.
It just means you have the freedom to alter and redistribute the software, provided you abide by the license’s requirements, which means granting the same right to others.
It also doesn’t mean somebody else does your work for you, or pays somebody else to do your work for you.
Therefore QGIS is indeed free, just not gratis.

What you mean to say is that Free is not Gratis.
That’s a truism/platitude.

Also, if you use commercial software, you pay far more for the same, and you don’t have ANY guarantee that ANY bug is fixed, even if you can pay.
You also cannot usually pay anyone else than the original company to do some work on it, even if somebody else could do the same work far cheaper.
With commercial software, you also don’t have any guarantee that the product isn’t discontinued tomorrow, or taken into a completely different direction.

As with plugins:
As long as they are NOT distributed with the software BY DEFAULT, they don’t necessarily have to abide by the GPL.
As long as you only use it internally (e.g. on a WebServer), you don’t have to abide by the terms of the GPL (the Affero<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Affero_General_Public_License>/Application-Service-Provider loophole).