[QGIS-Developer] QgsQuick removal

Peter Petrik peter.petrik at lutraconsulting.co.uk
Wed May 12 00:51:13 PDT 2021

Hi devs,

I will be removing QgsQuick library related pieces from the qgis/QGIS
repository if there are no strong objections.

The reasons are:
- the release cycle for QgsQuick is different than QGIS core, more based on
the InputApp releases
- QgsQuick is not used by other projects but InputApp despite being on
master for few years (as far as I know)
- In case we would like to use Qt QML in QGIS desktop, we will probably
need different QML classes than for mobile devices (e.g. on mobile devices
you do not edit form config, etc) anyways
- QgsQuick library is not shipped with the regular QGIS packaging system,
not build/tested in the CI mostly (e.g. the tests on master are coredumping
ATM), so it doesn't really matured to the common QML library
- There is an extra maintenance of the QgsQuick (pull requests in
qgis/QGIS, CI setup, code maintenance, test runs) for the QGIS developers
and to the QGIS infrastructure as such.
- There is quite a maintenance cost of Lutra Team to backport the changes
from Input back to qgis/QGIS, keep the code in sync, test and in general
use a library+application split when not necessary.

Therefore we do not see the reasons why to spend extra time on the
community and us to maintain this bit. The code will be still present in
the https://github.com/lutraconsulting/input open-source project, so in
case other Qt/QGIS related mobile projects would like to build something on
top of it, we would be happy to cooperate.

Cheers,
Peter