[QGIS-Developer] QgsQuick removal

Alessandro Pasotti apasotti at gmail.com
Wed May 12 01:01:37 PDT 2021

On Wed, May 12, 2021 at 9:51 AM Peter Petrik <
peter.petrik at lutraconsulting.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi devs,
>
> I will be removing QgsQuick library related pieces from the qgis/QGIS
> repository if there are no strong objections.
>
> The reasons are:
> - the release cycle for QgsQuick is different than QGIS core, more based
> on the InputApp releases
> - QgsQuick is not used by other projects but InputApp despite being on
> master for few years (as far as I know)
> - In case we would like to use Qt QML in QGIS desktop, we will probably
> need different QML classes than for mobile devices (e.g. on mobile devices
> you do not edit form config, etc) anyways
> - QgsQuick library is not shipped with the regular QGIS packaging system,
> not build/tested in the CI mostly (e.g. the tests on master are coredumping
> ATM), so it doesn't really matured to the common QML library
> - There is an extra maintenance of the QgsQuick (pull requests in
> qgis/QGIS, CI setup, code maintenance, test runs) for the QGIS developers
> and to the QGIS infrastructure as such.
> - There is quite a maintenance cost of Lutra Team to backport the changes
> from Input back to qgis/QGIS, keep the code in sync, test and in general
> use a library+application split when not necessary.
>
> Therefore we do not see the reasons why to spend extra time on the
> community and us to maintain this bit. The code will be still present in
> the https://github.com/lutraconsulting/input open-source project, so in
> case other Qt/QGIS related mobile projects would like to build something on
> top of it, we would be happy to cooperate.
>
> Cheers,
> Peter

Hello Peter,

I understand the reasons but to be honest I'm a little sad: I hoped that
QgsQuick would have become the solid and common foundation for **all** QGIS
mobile apps, I believe this was the reason for having it under the QGIS.org
umbrella.

I see this as a community failure (not yours of course).

Anyway, you (QgsQuick devs) deserve the last word on this matter: the
choice is yours.

Regards.

--
Alessandro Pasotti