[QGIS-Developer] Translations

DelazJ delazj at gmail.com
Thu Feb 17 10:16:34 PST 2022

Hi,

Sandro, interesting reminder (I saw the info few weeks ago).

I've been quickly playing with the postgis weblate project the other day
and few thought/questions:
* one thing that seduces me a lot is that anyone can contribute to
translation. No need to create an account beforehand (unless you want to be
identified as translator); you can anonymously suggest translations and
help any project (I see something, I propose a fix). Interesting for people
that do not necessarily want to create an account for a one-time
contribution. Would avoid to have hundreds of people in a team but only
very few actually translating; But do signed-in people receive
notifications of suggestions?
* Btw, is there a team management in it? In Tx, unless it's specific to
QGIS setup, before translating you should get accepted by a project
language coordinator. My testing shows that, once identified as OSGeo
member, I could translate anything anywhere in OSGeo Weblate. Or is this
openness  specific to the current projects.
* It seems there's a quite amazing panel of quality checks run over the
translations (https://docs.weblate.org/en/weblate-4.10.1/user/checks.html#)
* To be a translator, you need an OSGeo ID. No other option?
* How is the PostGIS translation community? Did the people translating in
the previous platform (Transifex?) move with you? Any idea how many you
lost meanwhile? I see you have a quite lower number of target languages
compared to QGIS projects.
* Few weeks later, what actual advantages do you see with being on Weblate?

Many questions and there are probably some I can find their answers in the
weblate doc. So if you wanna share your specific experience of migration,
it would be nice.
Regards,
Harrissou