[QGIS-Developer] Translations

Sandro Santilli strk at kbt.io
Thu Feb 17 10:31:59 PST 2022

On Thu, Feb 17, 2022 at 07:16:34PM +0100, DelazJ wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Sandro, interesting reminder (I saw the info few weeks ago).
>
> I've been quickly playing with the postgis weblate project the other day
> and few thought/questions:
> * one thing that seduces me a lot is that anyone can contribute to
> translation. No need to create an account beforehand (unless you want to be
> identified as translator); you can anonymously suggest translations and
> help any project (I see something, I propose a fix). Interesting for people
> that do not necessarily want to create an account for a one-time
> contribution. Would avoid to have hundreds of people in a team but only
> very few actually translating; But do signed-in people receive
> notifications of suggestions?

I did not receive an email notification for your suggestions, but I do
see a count of suggestion when I log in.

> * Btw, is there a team management in it?

I'm not an expert, but I know in PostGIS we required "approval" state
for translations before they are actually pushed to the repository.

> * To be a translator, you need an OSGeo ID. No other option?

We didn't enable other options. They *may* be supported but I'm not
sure if it can be done on a per-project basis.

> * How is the PostGIS translation community? Did the people translating in
> the previous platform (Transifex?) move with you?

Yes

> Any idea how many you lost meanwhile?

Nope.

> * Few weeks later, what actual advantages do you see with being on Weblate?

The workflow is more continuous now: changes pushed in official
repository are automatically picked up by weblate, weblate approved
translations are automatically pushed to repository.

Other advantages I see (but could be just me) are:

  - Translators don't need to use proprietary software
  - Translators don't need an account on yet another platform
    (OSGeo ID can be used for all aspects of PostGIS: trac/gitea/translate/CI)

> Many questions and there are probably some I can find their answers in the
> weblate doc. So if you wanna share your specific experience of migration,
> it would be nice.

We've always kept the ability to translate locally, and will keep
doing that, so that migration is really "just" a *users* migration
(ie: those users who might be accustomed to one platform are required
to move to another one).

Regina may have a better view on the topic.

--strk;