[QGIS-Developer] Time for db manager to become an "opt-in" plugin?

Richard Duivenvoorde rdmailings at duif.net
Sun Jul 10 00:56:22 PDT 2022

On 7/10/22 03:02, Alexandre Neto via QGIS-Developer wrote:

> This db manager functionality is unique, and is (in my opinion) one of the reasons why QGIS is PostGIS de facto client.

Hi Alexandre,

My de facto client is DBeaver, a cross platform FOSS general Database client (written in Java).
It even has a simple spatial viewer (as: show geometries on OSM, both for Postgis and Geopackages) in the data tabs.
(in my setup I have Mysql(spatial), Postgis, Geopackages and Oracle connections in one set)

Changing constraints/permissions/edits in data etc etc is really 'simple' (as in via gui).

So running a spatial analysis to me is:
- run a query in a <project>.sql file, create a view or temporary table for it
- load it in QGIS
(- saving all queries including comments in that sql file)

Would that be a work around for you?

It is like: A DB client like DBeaver should not try to be a (Q)GIS.... and vice versa ;-)

Regards,

Richard Duivenvoorde