[QGIS-Developer] Time for db manager to become an "opt-in" plugin?

Alexandre Neto senhor.neto at gmail.com
Sun Jul 10 04:50:44 PDT 2022

Hi Richard

A domingo, 10/07/2022, 08:56, Richard Duivenvoorde via QGIS-Developer <
qgis-developer at lists.osgeo.org> escreveu:

> On 7/10/22 03:02, Alexandre Neto via QGIS-Developer wrote:
>
> > This db manager functionality is unique, and is (in my opinion) one of
> the reasons why QGIS is PostGIS de facto client.
>
> Hi Alexandre,
>
> My de facto client is DBeaver, a cross platform FOSS general Database
> client (written in Java).

I know dbeaver and like it alot and I use it too, but IMHO sending people
to another software is not a solution.

It even has a simple spatial viewer (as: show geometries on OSM, both for
> Postgis and Geopackages) in the data tabs.
> (in my setup I have Mysql(spatial), Postgis, Geopackages and Oracle
> connections in one set)
>
> Changing constraints/permissions/edits in data etc etc is really 'simple'
> (as in via gui).

This is what I use dbeaver for, and as I said before that is not my main
concern.

> So running a spatial analysis to me is:
> - run a query in a <project>.sql file, create a view or temporary table
> for it
> - load it in QGIS
> (- saving all queries including comments in that sql file)

Now this is where I think the workflow is incomparable. In QGIS you can
overlap and see several results at the same time. something that it's not
possible to do in dbeaver (or pgadmin). You can easily change your query
and reload again in a very easy and fast way. Creating views or temporary
tables in dbeaver to go and open it in QGIS, then if something went off go
back to dveaver do it again... Nah... :-p

> Would that be a work around for you?
>
> It is like: A DB client like DBeaver should not try to be a (Q)GIS.... and
> vice versa ;-)

I agree! My worries are not power users like you and me, we can use several
software at the same time without crossing the wires, But it's damn hard to
make common GIS folks transition to spatial databases and spatial SQL.
Although Alessandro brilliant work will help this transition, the SQL
editor from dbmanager was by far the best tool for spatial SQL.

This being said, I understand that db manager will eventually die anyway
for lack of maintenance if nothing is done otherwise. I just ask for some
time so we have a plan for making sure that important functionality is not
delegated to third party plugins.

Maybe I should lead a QEP followed by a crowd funding? If that is the issue.

"We" added lots of new functionality to QGIS, some of which I probably
won't ever use, I am ok with it, but it's hard to see functionality I use
everyday go away.

Thanks,

Alexandre