[QGIS-Developer] Revolt Chat Community Server

Tim Sutton tim at kartoza.com
Sat Nov 12 15:45:23 PST 2022

Greetings Johannes and previous posters to this thread.

I think the discussion needs to be split in three parts:

1) The official discussion area for project discussions and decisions. In
my opinion, for better or worse, this is still the mailing lists until
something better has replaced them. For me I am happy to use discourse or
any other platform that is agreed by the PSC by direct decision or by
putting it to community vote.
2) Which chat / other platforms we allow. In my opinion we should be really
open and allow communities to gather on whichever platforms they want to,
be it FB, Telegram, Gitter, Revolt, Stack Exchange etc. We basically have
no control over this anyway and being open means also tolerating the fact
that people assemble and form subcommunities on platforms that we don't
necessarily prefer.
3) The status of 'official' chat platforms and their discoverability. For
these, we should grant 'official / endorsed' status, have them listed on
our web site, they should have clear contact points for moderators, be
allowed to use the world 'Official' in their name, be generally limited to
one per platform (e.g. the Official Facebook QGIS Group) and enforce things
like our code of conduct and diversity rules.

I think trying to police or control things beyond this is largely pointless
as we cannot as a project dictate how and where people choose to
collaborate.

Regards

Tim

On Sat, Nov 5, 2022 at 3:18 PM Johannes Kröger (WhereGroup) via
QGIS-Developer <qgis-developer at lists.osgeo.org> wrote:

> Sorry if this was covered before, I googled "qgis revolt gitter" and got
> no hits so maybe it was not:
>
> Apart from IRC and Matrix there is also Gitter, with four rooms
> currently at https://gitter.im/qgis/home
>
> Anita said a while ago that those are actually indexed on Google.
>
> It seems to have a similar "richness" in terms of embedded images, slick
> browser interface etc compared to Revolt.
>
> Does Revolt bring significant benefits compared to Gitter? Probably more
> control about rooms and such? Maybe also the means of logging in are bad
> at Gitter, I see Github, Gitlab, Twitter and Matrix, so all fairly
> involved, nerdy choices.
>
> Cheers, Hannes

​

Tim Sutton