[QGIS-Developer] [Qgis-psc] QGIS budget 2023 RFC

Vincent Picavet (ml) vincent.ml at oslandia.com
Thu Nov 24 06:05:34 PST 2022

Hello,

Thanks for sharing the budget with the community.

A few questions / remarks :
- in most countries, we can see a general inflation, having consequences on every kind of costs ( hosting, salaries…). Did you take this context into account when preparing the budget, especially when basing planned 2023 costs on actual 2022 costs ?
- the cut on Grant budget is really hard. With a "reasonable" mean budget of 5K per grant, this would mean 2 grants only this year. It sounds more or less like the end of the grant program. Who would candidate if chances to be selected are really low ? Wouldn't there be a way to mitigate it a bit, through various smaller budget reductions to other budget lines ? The increase in documentation contribution is huge compared to the grant decrease. I fear that we loose grants as a mean to attract new core developers.

My most important remark is about "allow for a regular small salary .. for one person on each item". Disclaimer : I am quite strongly against QGIS.org having employees. If we are in the process of having "regular workers" for qgis.org, then we really have to work hard on :
- having a clear, written and transparent process for how to select these people
- .. process including a fair way for anyone to candidate
I may have missed some communications, but I have not seen this in place up to now. This is definitely something we have to put in place before having some internal troubles.

Best regards,
Vincent