[QGIS-Developer] [Qgis-psc] QGIS budget 2023 RFC

Andreas Neumann andreas at qgis.org
Thu Nov 24 07:09:14 PST 2022

Hi Vincent,

Thank you for joining the discussion.

We did not really discuss the hourly rates at the budget meeting. From 2021
to 2022 we raised the hourly dev rates from 100 to 110 - and the hourly
documentation rates from 40 to 44. I know that both rates are low. We can
discuss raising them again.

The plan for the two positions was not to have direct employees of QGIS.ORG,
but to use a proxy company, in our case Kartoza, to act as the employer.
Also - our budget does not allow regular European or North-American
salaries. With these limitations at hand, we can use Kartoza as a proxy to
hire employees in certain parts of the world where the salaries we can
offer can be attractive - and where they have talented people to work on
some of our issues (sysadmin, documentation, etc.)

For the documentation part: Tim and Harrissou are involved in the selection
process of the candidates.

I agree that the grant budget with 10k is not very attractive. We also
discussed skipping it for one year. Not sure what is better ...

BTW: you can all help to find new sustaining members ... that would
increase our budget and would allow us to pay better hourly rates ...

I wish we had a larger budget at hand than the +/- 200k € we seem to be
able to attract each year. From certain countries where we know we have a
lot of QGIS users (France, Italy - just to name two of them) there are not
a lot of sustaining members or donations other than from a few private
persons and very small companies. Maybe companies like yours could help us
to get in touch with the larger companies with a lot of QGIS users that
could become new sustaining members ... Do you think that would be possible?

Andreas

On Thu, 24 Nov 2022 at 15:05, Vincent Picavet (ml) via QGIS-Developer <
qgis-developer at lists.osgeo.org> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Thanks for sharing the budget with the community.
>
> A few questions / remarks :
> - in most countries, we can see a general inflation, having consequences
> on every kind of costs ( hosting, salaries…). Did you take this context
> into account when preparing the budget, especially when basing planned 2023
> costs on actual 2022 costs ?
> - the cut on Grant budget is really hard. With a "reasonable" mean budget
> of 5K per grant, this would mean 2 grants only this year. It sounds more or
> less like the end of the grant program. Who would candidate if chances to
> be selected are really low ? Wouldn't there be a way to mitigate it a bit,
> through various smaller budget reductions to other budget lines ? The
> increase in documentation contribution is huge compared to the grant
> decrease. I fear that we loose grants as a mean to attract new core
> developers.
>
> My most important remark is about "allow for a regular small salary .. for
> one person on each item". Disclaimer : I am quite strongly against QGIS.org
> having employees. If we are in the process of having "regular workers" for
> qgis.org, then we really have to work hard on :
> - having a clear, written and transparent process for how to select these
> people
> - .. process including a fair way for anyone to candidate
> I may have missed some communications, but I have not seen this in place
> up to now. This is definitely something we have to put in place before
> having some internal troubles.
>
> Best regards,
> Vincent
>
> On 24/11/2022 12:07, Marco Bernasocchi wrote:
> > Hi all, we prepared the QGIS budget for 2023 and would like to have
> > feedback before submitting it to the voting members for approval. You
> > can directly leave comments in the file [1].
> >
> > Please let us have any Feedback until December 4th. On december 7th
> > we'll send the budget for vote.
> >
> > Cheers Marco
> >
> > [1]
> >
> https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1WyoZCKOehNhU5YB4pFPOuiJbie1mUmMPiq8YW7qyez0/edit?usp=sharing