[QGIS-Developer] Re-add Georeferencer action to raster menu?

Nick Bearman nick at geospatialtrainingsolutions.co.uk
Tue Sep 27 01:53:10 PDT 2022

Hi Nyall,

I'd agree with Andreas here, so a -1 from me.

Given that many people have mentioned it, would an alternative be to
post a message in the news feed that appears when people open QGIS?

And/or are 'tips' still a thing in QGIS? I can't remember now, but a
while ago you had the tips appear when QGIS was opened - although this
may be long gone now!

Best wishes,
Nick.

On 27/09/2022 08:35, Werner Macho via QGIS-Developer wrote:
> Hi Nyall, Andreas,
>
> I fully agree with Andreas here.
> Having the same functions in different locations usually only confuses
> the user ("is this function doing the same as the other one?").
> So -1 from me as well. The Layer menu makes complete sense with the
> newly added functionality.
> regards
> Werner
>

> On Tue, Sep 27, 2022 at 9:02 AM Andreas Neumann via QGIS-Developer
> <qgis-developer at lists.osgeo.org> wrote:
>
>     Hi Nyall,
>
>     Thanks for raising this. Initially I was also confused, but the
>     new menu position makes more sense.
>
>     I would be -1 on adding it also to the raster menu. If we do add
>     it to the "Raster" menu, as a consequence, it would also have to
>     be added to the "Vector" menu ...
>
>     It just needs a bit of time for people to get used to the new menu
>     position in the "Layers" menu, I think.
>
>     Andreas
>
>     On 2022-09-27 08:40, Nyall Dawson via QGIS-Developer wrote:
>
>>     Hi devs!
>>
>>     I'm after some wider feedback -- in 3.26 I moved the "Georeferencer"
>>     action from the Raster menu to the "Layers" menu, as the
>>     georeferencer
>>     was expanded to support more than just raster layers and it no longer
>>     seemed a logical place to put this action.
>>
>>     But we've seen a lot of confusion and bug reports about the missing
>>     action since this move.
>>
>>     I'm pondering whether we should add a second shortcut to the
>>     georeferncer back into the Raster menu, so that this tool will be
>>     available through either location.
>>
>>     Is this a good idea and helps avoid user confusion? Or a bad one
>>     which
>>     causes more UI bloat?
>>
>>     Nyall

Nick Bearman
+44 (0)7717745715
nick at geospatialtrainingsolutions.co.uk

Due to my own life/work balance, you may get emails from me outside of normal working hours. Please do not feel any pressure to respond outside of your own working pattern.