[QGIS-Developer] Some PROJ versions are not compatible with QGIS on Linux instances

Greg Troxel gdt at lexort.com
Tue Jan 3 15:32:43 PST 2023

C Hamilton via QGIS-Developer <qgis-developer at lists.osgeo.org> writes:

> I don't know if this is something I should report or not. I keep getting
> users submitting issues for the Lat Lon Tools plugin on Ubuntu or Fedora
> because they are using a recent pyproj library and it is causing a crash. I
> have them check to see if "import pyproj" works from the python console
> which it invariably does not. The error is not with Lat Lon Tools, it is
> likely with this call
>
> epsg4326 = QgsCoordinateReferenceSystem('EPSG:4326')
>
> which is called during initialization and it is because the newer versions
> of PROJ seem to be incompatible.

It sounds like if "import pyproj" in python crashes, without doing
anything qgis-ish, then the issue is not "pyproj not compatible" but
"broken version of pyproj".

Can you in plugin init, do essentially try import except, and display an
error that init failed because the pyproj could not be loaded, and this
is not a latlontools issue?

Which pyproj is bad?

Is this an upstream bug or a packaging bug?

Does it happen with a bad pyproj with all proj, or all pyproj with some
proj or ?

Is there a proj or pyproj bug open?