[QGIS-Developer] Some PROJ versions are not compatible with QGIS on Linux instances

Nyall Dawson nyall.dawson at gmail.com
Tue Jan 3 15:57:06 PST 2023

On Wed, 4 Jan 2023 at 00:24, C Hamilton via QGIS-Developer
<qgis-developer at lists.osgeo.org> wrote:

> I don't know if this is something I should report or not. I keep getting users submitting issues for the Lat Lon Tools plugin on Ubuntu or Fedora because they are using a recent pyproj library and it is causing a crash. I have them check to see if "import pyproj" works from the python console which it invariably does not. The error is not with Lat Lon Tools, it is likely with this call

It's a side-issue, but what do you need pyproj for? Everything
**should** be possible through the native qgis classes and avoiding
pyproj imports would help to avoid issues like this in the first
place. (Of course, if you're needing geopandas then the pyproj import
isn't something you can control!)

> epsg4326 = QgsCoordinateReferenceSystem('EPSG:4326')
>
> which is called during initialization and it is because the newer versions of PROJ seem to be incompatible.
>
> I just have to tell them to use a QGIS supported version of PROJ.

Double check that these users aren't installing pyproj via pip --
that'll end up with multiple incompatible proj library versions
installed on the system. They should be using pyproj from the Fedora
repos only.

Nyall