[QGIS-Developer] DWG/DXF QGIS on Linux/Debian

Andreas Neumann andreas at qgis.org
Thu Jul 13 00:43:46 PDT 2023

Hi,

There are actually several options and libraries for the handling of
dxf/dwg files:

- libdxfrw (patched and improved by Jürgen) and lives within the QGIS
source tree - this is used for the import/export when using the commands in
the project menu for several layer at once
- ogr ( https://gdal.org/drivers/vector/dxf.html ) - this is used when you
do layer right-click --> Export --> Save Features As ...
- ogr enhanced with the Open Design Alliance Teigha library (requires a
license agreement for distribution --> so hardly ever used). QGIS doesn't
ship with Teigha.

The third option probably gives the best results, but due the license issue
it isn't really available.

Hope this clarifies the situation a bit. Jürgen can probably explain better
the situation around libdxfrw and Even the second option in OGR (or the
devs who did the driver).

Greetings,
Andreas

On Thu, 13 Jul 2023 at 09:31, Johannes Kröger (WhereGroup) via
QGIS-Developer <qgis-developer at lists.osgeo.org> wrote:

> Hi Matteo,
>
> I assume that those are provided via GDAL. Check
> https://gdal.org/drivers/vector/ for how to get a GDAL that supports them.
>
> https://gdal.org/drivers/vector/cad.html sounds like you need to make
> sure that your GDAL was compiled with its internal libopencad or you
> could use https://gdal.org/drivers/vector/oda.html
>
> Good luck!
>
> Hannes
>
> Am 13.07.23 um 09:10 schrieb Matteo Ghetta via QGIS-Developer:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I'm on a Debian testing fresh machine and with both QGIS 3.28 from
> > package and master compiled I cannot import DWG/DXF. This is the error
> > I get:
> >
> > Drawing import failed (unsupported version. Cannot read AutoCAD
> > 2018/2019/2020 documents.)
> >
> > I don't remember if there is a procedure on Linux (Debian) to compile
> > QGIS with a driver that allows to import those formats.
> >
> > Thanks for any suggestion!
> >
> > Matteo

> Johannes Kröger / GIS-Entwickler/-Berater

> Aufwind durch Wissen!
> Web-Seminare und Online-Schulungen
> bei der www.foss-academy.com
>
> WhereGroup GmbH