[QGIS-Developer] QGIS 3D and Graphics Card Requirements

Johannes Kröger (WhereGroup) johannes.kroeger at wheregroup.com
Tue Oct 10 03:56:59 PDT 2023

Hi all,

the two ridiculously expensive and high-end graphics cards mentioned by
Luke sound like complete overkill. Surely reading and preparing the
geodata for 3D display (from data providers, via storage, on the CPU?)
would be the bigger performance/usability issue of the 3D views, right?
I am sure that for reasonable reasons QGIS would choke waaaay earlier
than what those cards would be capable of. The potential benefit of
those cards for QGIS 3D definitely is not worth paying *1200-2500€* extra.

Martin/Jean, is there any change that you could provide a more detailed
specification of the hardware and software requirements for QGIS 3D? It
comes up again and again and I've just been searching again without
success. I step up to add it to the QGIS documentation in early November.

Esri provides for example infos on the required OpenGL version and
extensions on
https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/get-started/arcgis-pro-system-requirements.htm

E.g.: What is the minimum amount of GPU RAM necessary? How does it scale
with more complex 3D scenes and what happens if there is not enough RAM?
Does it get slow (maybe with a message) or does it crash? Which renderer
does it use on which platforms (I guess always OpenGL?). Which OpenGL
version is needed? Which extensions are needed? Could missing extensions
get logged prominently to the user to avoid the "my 3D canvas is
white/blank" issue (I guess that is the reason) that often comes up?
Which features depend on which extensions and what happens if they are
not available?

All the best, Hannes