[QGIS-Developer] Best practices for storing plugin settings

Johannes Kröger (WhereGroup) johannes.kroeger at wheregroup.com
Fri Oct 20 07:05:25 PDT 2023

Hi Gabriel,

there are no fixed standards but it might be a great project to evaluate
the plugin landscape and see how people do it in the wild, to see if
there are some defacto standards or best practises.

I tried to document some variations I found recently in
https://hannes.enjoys.it/blog/2023/07/plugins-in-qgis3-ini/

There should also be a post to a QGIS mailing list where I asked about
standards but I cannot find it again because mailing lists. Iirc the
answer was "there are no rules".

Cheers, Hannes

Am 16.10.23 um 04:01 schrieb Gabriel De Luca via QGIS-Developer:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I'm developing a plugin and I'm not sure where to write the settings.
>
> Should I create the settings object with my own organization and
> application? I would expect a plugin's settings to be stored in the
> profile folder where the plugin is installed, within the same qgis
> configurations file, so it doesn't seem like a good option to me.
>
> If I write the settings under the same organization and application as
> QGIS, is it appropriate to create a root group for my plugin? All the
> plugins I have installed did that, but for some reason they are hidden
> when viewing the advanced settings with the new tree widget.
>
> Is the "plugins" group appropriate to create a sub-group/key with the
> name of my plugin?
>
> The only email I found in the archive referring to the settings
> structure is [1], I'll keep it in mind when it comes to group/key
> names, but any other recommendations on good practices for third-party
> plugins are welcome.
>

> Regards,
> Gabriel
>
> [1]
> https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/qgis-developer/2017-March/047487.html

Johannes Kröger / GIS-Entwickler/-Berater

Aufwind durch Wissen!
Web-Seminare und Online-Schulungen
bei der www.foss-academy.com

WhereGroup GmbH