[QGIS-Developer] Best practices for storing plugin settings

Gabriel De Luca pablogabrieldeluca at gmail.com
Sun Oct 15 19:01:07 PDT 2023

Hello everyone,

  I'm developing a plugin and I'm not sure where to write the settings.

  Should I create the settings object with my own organization and
application? I would expect a plugin's settings to be stored in the profile
folder where the plugin is installed, within the same qgis configurations
file, so it doesn't seem like a good option to me.

  If I write the settings under the same organization and application as
QGIS, is it appropriate to create a root group for my plugin? All the
plugins I have installed did that, but for some reason they are hidden when
viewing the advanced settings with the new tree widget.

  Is the "plugins" group appropriate to create a sub-group/key with the
name of my plugin?

  The only email I found in the archive referring to the settings structure
is [1], I'll keep it in mind when it comes to group/key names, but any
other recommendations on good practices for third-party plugins are welcome.

Regards,
Gabriel

[1] https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/qgis-developer/2017-March/047487.html