[QGIS-Developer] PKI Certs with QGIS

Greg Troxel gdt at lexort.com
Sat Apr 27 04:43:26 PDT 2024

Joshua Tomlin via QGIS-Developer <qgis-developer at lists.osgeo.org>
writes:

> Dear QGIS Support Team,

This is not a support list.  It's for discussion among developers.

>     I'm currently working on a script that will allow the CAC reader to
> pull PKI Certs off the CAC card. I'm currently working with the CAC support
> team and they have a few questions that I'm not familiar with that you may
> know:
>
> Does the opensource application support PKI?
>
> How does the opensource application process FIPS 140 cryptography?

I've worked with CAC/PIV before, and your situation doesn't really make
sense to me, even though I can see how you might have ended up where you
did, and I could guess what's really going on -- but won't.

> I believe QGIS does support PKI based on the authentication block I've
> attached to this email but would you happen to know the answers to the
> other question?

It looks like you attached a picture, which my mail reader didn't
display.  That's ok; I don't like to look at screenshots vs. text.

More or less, qgis can fetch GIS resources over https, and thus follows
pkix in much the same way other programs do.  I realize that's probably
not that helpful.

My impression is that you probably need a consultant.  You didn't
mention the purpose of your work.  As you know, ITAR is a real concern,
and it would be good to be clear that it is not related to a defense
service.  If you do need help with a defense service, you'll of course
need to find a US-based consultant.